We have start at the beginning. Having received the email that informed that our SADs (Stadium Access Devices, dummy) were ready for collection, I stole time out of my busy schedule to go to the hallowed offices of the Soweto soccer giant. After creating my own parking space I entered the building to join a group of rather irritated media people.Apparently the media had told everyone to come in at ten. I arrived at eleven thirty three. The eestemed officer had "stepped out". She eventually pitched and we made a happy queue to collect the cards that would ensure us entrance into the biggest derby in Africa. I was not surprised that she did not know me. After repeating my name a couple of times, I was given a card and told, "that`s all, no parking for you." What about Dee, I enquired. After a few finger punches of the keyboard, I was told that my dear colleague was not approved.Horror!Sorry, no dice.
On matchday, teamsheets were like democracy in Africa, hard to find. I even had one snatched from my very hand by a Pirates staffer. After a little protestation and a lot of finger pointing we left the room with no teamsheets and a promise from a very nice lady that she would deliver said teamsheets. We later saw this nice lady dancing to the sounds of Cleo. So no teamsheets. Even at the very smallest of teams, the ones that have like ten supporters, we always get teamsheets.Maybe we are supposed to know every player since it`s Pirates!
The home also organised bouncers. Big boys roamed around the area like it a night club. They kept checking our accreditation cards to see if the faces on there were really ours. Maybe they were there to protect the celebrities from us.
DJ Cleo did his thing for a few minutes and then joined those little Teko Modise wannabes that had taken up the space that is normally filled by our non working colleagues.
Residents of Celebville came in their numbers. No doubt invited by the same home team that had denied plenty of journalists access to the media centre.Life!
No comments:
Post a Comment